All Coaches MUST have a current Coaching Certification.
Coaches MUST fill out and submit a coaching application every season. Head coaches and assistant coaches will be appointed by the Board of Directors.
USA HOCKEY COACHING MEMBERSHIP (Cost is $46 ).
Please note that First- time USAH Coaches will need to Create a Coaching account. Once you complete each requirement, they will appear on your profile which you will be the only one with access to.
BACKGROUND SCREENING CHECK: this can be found on www.usahockey.com. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see screening application. This must be completed every 2 years and the cost is $35.
SAFESPORT TRAINING is a yearly requirement per USA HOCKEY. This free training can be accessed by going to www.usahockey.com. You will need your USA HOCKEY number in order to log in. Please note: YOU MUST USE LIST YOUR NAME EXACTLY AS IT IS ON YOUR USA HOCKEY MEMBERSHIP or it will not connect the two. (ie Jon and Jonathan, Mike and Michael). Once you log in, your dashboard will show you which course you need to take- either Core Course or a refresher.
AGE-SPECIFIC MODULES must be COMPLETE for each age group you are coaching before a coach can be added to the team roster. If you are coaching the same age group, you do not have to do the modules over again.
- If a coach has a 10U module and moves up to 12U, they will need to take the new 10/12U module.
- If a coach has a 14U module, they do not need to do the new 13+ module if the coach is coaching a 14U team.
- If a coach has a 16/18/19 module and the coach is coaching a 14U team that coach will have to take the 13+ module.
- A coach does not need to take the 13+ module if the coach has a 16/18/19 module and coaching a 16/18/19 team.
- Mites Coaches are the ONLY age bracket allowed to coach with an expired certification (per USA HOCKEY). The Whalers Board of Directors strongly encourages all Mites Coaches to stay current with the CEP and Modules. (even if that means staying ahead).
- NOTE: New modules will be ready in the next few weeks. For now, take the old ones listed.
- The cost is $10 per module. Click here to register for the modules.
COACHING CLINICS Can only attend one clinic per season, and all New coaches start at Level 1. (Must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021, and Oct 31, 2022, for all Midget Coaches). The Cost is $55
- On-Line Virtual Clinic: Some of these clinics will be virtual through Zoom. These virtual clinics will have “breakout” rooms for small-group discussions as part of the learning experience. These virtual clinics will take place in two … sessions on two separate days. Coaches must attend both sessions to get credit for the clinic.
In-Person Clinic: In person clinics should be resuming shortly.
You can stay up-to-date on all coaching information, courses, etc by checking www.usahockey.com and clicking on the Coaching section. If you have any questions regarding your SafeSport Certifcation or the date of your last background screening, please email Cat Cirillo (Vice President) at firstname.lastname@example.org.